Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Four-Year Transformation!

Finally, this week marks the end of the first phase of my work-ex that lasted for a total of 4 years as I have decided to overthrow my comfort zone and travel thru the scabrous alleys of a highly respected degree, now-a-days, called MBA. However, when I look back now, I am delighted to note that what a journey it has been. It has all of these called pain, emotions, tears, war, stress, glory, fun, rewards, friendships, etc. And all these things have impacted me considerably to an extent that I feel that I am a much better individual now than what I was 4 years back.

Some of the examples I discovered through introspection:

Before:
Very low self confidence

After:
Duniya ki &%@#!^.. High level of self confidence and belief. This is one lesson that I have learnt as a result of learning from so many failures in almost every field esp. during first serious CAT prep. in 2008 and 1st two projects in CSC during 2008-09. Everytime I failed, I read/listened something motivational. One such quote that is extremely close to my heart is:
"Courage doesn't always roar..Sometimes, it is the quite voice at the end of the day, saying I will again try tomorrow".
Similarly, Chak-de-India movie's title song(hunkar awaz wala paragraph)

And whenever I have tried again and again, almost everytime God has been kind to shower success on me just when I was on the verge of loosing it!
Also, I have experienced this myself that our body imitates our mind. If mind is confident, this will show in the performance by the body and hence, the results. (My first AIMCAT last year was in July first week in which I was not prepared at all so I had nothing to loose. Without any expectations, I went with full confidence that whatever I will do, I will do correct else I will not attempt. Result-98.3%tile, AIR-270 out of 17,000..!)

In this aspect specifically, literally speaking, "Main apna favourite hun"
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before:
Extreme immaturity in almost everything, be it relationships, handling tasks, view of life, ability to judge people (Initially, it was like if somebody talked to me with smile, I took his goodness for granted)

After:
Perhaps the most important thing which is developed over these years is “Maturity to think rationally and practically”. Day dreaming is a crime. Learnt this, esp in Kolkata where I made certain mistakes in choosing relationships that taught me that you will never know when your best asset may become your worst one if your eyes and mind are not open.

Generally, most of things went against my wishes during:

1. Last 3-4 months of my 1 year long stay in Cognizant,
2. Two months with a psycho in a single room,
3. Under a super psycho landlord for approx another 2 months
4. And 1st two projects in CSC

These things broadminded my mind to an extent which reflect when you see me today with the perspective of now and then. But a very very important experience I must say, otherwise, I would have never matured to that extent had Cognizant been in Delhi!
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Before:
Poor emotional quotient

After:
Now, I do any work with full emotions but I don’t do any work emotionally! (Slight difference, only few people will be able to understand).
Please please please remember that if you are into a relationship, then it is imperative to give full space to your partner and respect his/her views, else things will not work out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Before:
Any big responsibility looked like a burden that used to create stress until I finished it

After:
Let’s have a cup of tea first!
-----------------------------WAIT, Tea se yaad aaya....

Before:
Didn’t used to even touch it

After:
At least 3 times a day else mind gets blocked!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before:
Average communication skills when it used to come to relationships

After:
“Express Yourself” is the funda for this! I believe that if you really want to say something to someone, then please go ahead and express yourself to him/her..Don’t think that ‘it is obvious’ or ‘it is a formality’ or ‘it is not my duty’, etc.. Believe me, your few words of motivation can make his/her whole day!
(A very important lesson in public relations)
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Before:
Average mentorship skills (I used to get miffed easily if other person didn’t understand what I wanted to say. This was the case when I used to teach tuitions to class-10th students while I was in DCE)

After:
Developed patience…Here, special thanks to Abhignan da in Cognizant and Devendar in CSC who were my mentors in the respective companies!! (Consider the case that tomorrow is project delivery and our work is just 60% complete at 9pm. Abhijnan da is cool. Also, we have to train 2 other people till tomorrow. Abhijnan da is still cool. Mainframe gets hanged for 2 hours in between. Abhijnan da is still cool as if he had delivered the project. Suddenly it rains heavily to the extent that no cab is available to go home. Abhijnan da is still cool!!)
How to hold your nerves while mentoring and in high-stress zones was the lesson I learnt.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before:
Car Driving skills – Above average

After:
Min. 2.5 hours daily driving from Delhi to Noida and vice-versa since Oct, 2007.. Need I say more? Aankh band karke bhi chalaunga toh bhi ghar pahunch jaunga!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before:
Laughing loudly and frequently.

After:
This hasn’t changed as yet! People still become victim of that, sometimes!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, these were a few examples of my four-year transformation that I went thru with such a highly enriching experience made possible, perhaps, by the blessings of the almighty!
In the same flow, I hope the learning will continue in my last formal education too and who knows I will be writing another post after 2 years with contents similar to this one but heading something like, "Two states, the story of my ******".
-

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was really good reading ur experiences...u hav a really good style of expressing urself..jst keep it up... god bless u!!!

Anonymous said...

Great bro, kisse din baithte hai and will elaborate all of this..:) and few things you have missed too..hmmm...!!
Great bro, keep rocking everytime and ya dooniya ki........!!!
Take care...

Unknown said...

Really nice..... keep it up...
Main bhi kuch funda dena chahunga jo main sikha hoon apni life mein...
Life is basically a continuum of experiences which help you to raise yourself and become a beter person and this is what you have done...
Hopefully you will continue to do this... ALL the best!!

One more about mind....
Mind is a wonderful servant but a bad Master.... never allow this mind to be your master...

Ankit said...

Loved the last before/after..All the best man..

Ankit said...

Loved the last before/after..All the best for mba man..

Sachin Shakya said...

Awesum brother ..

Ankit Ag said...

I see myself in your past. Now i believe god has plans for me too...It just cant be a coincedence that he made me meet you...keep sharing :)